request a demo to see how our solutions meet your needs
CoreWellness: The Book
CoreWellness: A Physician Wellness Program provides you with knowledge and practical skills to manage stress and adversities typical of medical school and post-graduate training. You will learn about burnout syndrome (BOS), improve resilience, and achieve self-awareness through proactive wellness and self-care measures. It is the first comprehensive program designed to help you cope with the unique demands of the health care profession and better understand the impact stressors have on your cognitive, emotional and physical well-being. This book will provide you information to help you not only survive your training, but to actually thrive and flourish.
By reading the book you will master the skills to nurture and maintain wellness through training and throughout your medical career. Each chapter will help you build new knowledge and skills to improve your wellness and resilience. Each chapter is briefly described below.
- Chapter 1: Burnout – The definition of burnout is provided, as well as its etiology, prevalence, and consequences. The diagnosis of burnout is also described.
- Chapter 2: Wellness – Factors associated with wellness in residency and medical school, and a “culture of wellness” are described. Wellness measurements and interventions are also provided.
- Chapter 3: Resilience – The concept of resilience is defined and its relationship to cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is described. Resilience measurement tools are provided.
- Chapter 4: Resilience Exercises Introduction – This chapter describes how skill building training works and how to get the most out of the resilience exercises described in this book. You will learn about the concepts of You-Guru and You-Dini.
- Chapter 5: Mind Pulse Exercise – This exercise is an introduction to the way you think and will reveal thinking patterns that will be useful in subsequent exercises.
- Chapter 6: Emotional Temperature Exercise – This exercise helps increase self-awareness of how adversities affect emotions. It will help you discover, analyze, and enhance self-awareness regarding events or stressors that trigger strong emotions in you.
- Chapter 7: Thought X-Ray Exercise – This self-discovery exercise will help you to take a deeper look into your thinking, especially overly intense or counterproductive emotional/behavioral responses generated by cognitive distortions.
- Chapter 8: Positive Evidence Points (PEP) Exercise – This exercise will help you focus on techniques to build self-esteem through positive self-affirming statements, documenting benchmark achievements, and receiving positive feedback from colleagues, faculty, and mentors.
- Chapter 9: Thought Balloons Exercise – This is a thought exercise for challenging unhelpful beliefs with breathwork and visualization.
- Chapter 10: Nucleus Beliefs Exercise – This exercise helps you get past the surface beliefs and detect your core beliefs – those deep-rooted beliefs of how you view yourself, others, the future, and the world.
- Chapter 11: Gaussian Thought Distribution Exercise – This exercise will help you improve the accuracy of your thinking and to put things in perspective by using a probability distribution to determine the likelihood that an event will actually occur.
- Chapter 12: Narrative Medicine Exercise – This exercise teaches the concept of narrative medicine and describes three simple steps to nurture empathy and compassion individually and in groups.
- Chapter 13: Personal Mission Statement Exercise – In this exercise you will learn to craft a mission statement describing both the overall purpose for going into medicine as well as the meaning in day-to-day life as a physician-in-training.
- Chapter 14: Conflict Management Exercise – This exercise teaches you how to diffuse anger as a first step toward conflict resolution. Once tempers are calm, the work of negotiation and problem-solving can begin.
- Chapter 15: Crash-Cart Resilience Exercise – This exercise will help you relax in-the-moment using breathwork and visualization in real time when confronted with stressors.
- Chapter 16: Self-Assessment Tools – Twenty-six self-assessment tools/questionnaires are provided so you can explore your perceptions and views of yourself, others, and your future on a regular basis.
- Chapter 17: Wellness Program Examples – This chapter describes several wellness models that have been implemented in residency programs, have been published, have demonstrated efficacy and have strong approval among participants.
- Chapter 18: Your Role in Creating a Culture of Wellness – This module describes several ways that residents can help lead the effort to build and maintain a culture of wellness within their training program.
- Chapter 19: Program Summary – A brief summary of the entire program is provided in this module that you can refer back to as often as needed.
- Chapter 20: Quiz – A series of questions will test your knowledge and determine your grasp of materials presented in this book.
- Establishes a standardized program offering best practices to help physicians, residents and medical students cope with the unique demands of the health care profession.
- Authoritative source for wellness education that includes top resilience exercises, measurement tools, and evidence-based wellness interventions.
- Case-based scenarios depict the real-life situations of burnout syndrome, depression, and wellness and resilience.
- Learn how to better understand the inevitable stressors and adversities of medical training to increase well-being, promote a culture of resilience, and improve your work-life balance.
- Can be used in combination with its counterpart, the online, interactive e-learning program from CaseNetwork called “CoreWellness.” (Available to residency and medical school programs).